Scientific Editor and Communications Officer
The International Society of Zoological Sciences (ISZS) is a non-profit, non-partisan and professional society representing zoologists around the world. It is governed by an international board of researchers, currently represents over 20 000 zoologists and is responsible for a coordinating a number of programs such as working groups, major meetings and research projects.
The ISZS is seeking a dedicated Scientific Editor and Communications Officer (one position) to assist management of the Society’s scientific peer-reviewed journal Integrative Zoology and coordinate communications across the range of Society activities.
This position will involve the following duties:
1. Handling journal submissions and coordinating publication according to deadlines and schedules
2. Liaise with a variety of stakeholders: authors, reviewers, copy editors, typesetters, Editorial Board members
3. Accurate and comprehensive record-keeping
4. Technical and English editing of some manuscripts (the majority of content is submitted at high level English)
5. Producing a range of communication/marketing materials (newsletters, reports, presentations, conference proceedings, Editorials, brochures, fliers)
6. Management of a soon-to-be launched ISZS website and web content development
7. Marketing and promotion of the Journal and Society
8. As this position is the public face of the Society, you will also work with members and be responsible for membership management
1. Native-speaker of English
2. Attention to detail
3. High-level written and communication skills
4. The ability to work as part of small team in a cross-cultural environment
5. Good command of Microsoft Office (Word, Publisher, Excel) and Adobe Professional
6. A tertiary degree
7. An appreciation for scientific concepts, structure and processes (a degree in science is desirable, but not essential for this position)
8. Experience in international marketing and relationship building (with national and international organizations)
This position is full-time and located at the International Society of Zoological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China. Candidates in China and abroad are encouraged to apply. Annual salary will vary depending on your level of experience and qualifications. The Academy will provide a working visa and medical insurance.
To be considered applicants must address the duties and skills above in a cover letter and submit a full CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1 October 2009. Interviews will be held mid-October and the successful candidate will be expected to commence shortly after (some flexibility here).
Queries can be directed to email@example.com or +86 13718168728. Please see www.globalzoology.org for more information about the ISZS.